Chris Dawson has been charged with murder over 1982 disappearance of Lynette Dawson, whose brother is Lake Macquarie man Greg Simms

By admin

Breakthrough: Police have arrested a man in connection with the 1982 disappearance of Lyn Dawson, whose brother Lake Macquarie man Greg Simms has been calling for justice.


The 70-year-old husband of Lynette Dawson, who went missing from Sydney almost four decadesago,has been charged with her murder.

Queensland police arrested former Newtown Jets rugby league playerand high school teacher Chris Dawson, a long-time person of interest in his wife’s disappearance, at his home in Biggera Waters on the Gold Coast on Wednesday morning. Hewassoon extradited to the custody of NSW Police.

The arrest would have come as relieffor Ms Dawson’s family, including her brotherLake Macquarie man Greg Simms.

Read more: Hollow feeling: Lynette Dawson’s brother wants answers

The family requested privacy on Wednesday, but Mr Simms told the Newcastle Herald in September he wanted“justice for our sister”.

“It’s always there, it’s always hanging over your head and aweight on your shoulders,” he said.

“It’s something you do learn to live with, but every time something comes up, you lose a little bit of yourself.

“It’s just like having a hollow feeling in your stomach all the time.You’re wondering whether this is the day that you get a result.”

Lynette Dawson’s brother, Lake Macquarie man Greg Simms, with an archive of news clippings about his sister’s case.

Mr Dawson, who was the subject of investigative podcast The Teacher’s Pet, applied for bail on Wednesday but it was refused.

The arrest came after detectives requested in April that the Department of Public Prosecutions review its brief of evidence. Detectives from the NSW Police Unsolved Homicide Squad established Strike Force Scriven in 2015 to investigate the disappearance of the 33-year-old mother of two.

Ms Dawson has not been seen since she vanished from Sydney’s northern beaches in early January, 1982.

Greg Simms, Lynette Dawson’s brother, speaking in September, 2018.

She wasreported missing more than a month after she was last seen.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said Wednesday was an important step towards justice for Ms Dawson and her family.

Read more: Walk for Lynette Dawson at Newcastle

He said Ms Dawson’s family members were “certainly relieved to hear this result”.

NSW Homicide Squad commanderDetective Superintendent Scott Cooksaid a team of “dedicated detectives” had been investigating the case for the past three years.

“The resolve of the Unsolved Homicide Unit detectives shows that they will continue to search for the truth, no matter how many years may pass,” he said.